While decks are a popular feature of many homes, the construction and safety of decks has become a real concern within the building industry. Improper deck building has resulted in a growing number of deck failures and related injuries and deaths. While decks are required to meet certain code standards and load capacities. This course focuses on the critical connections involved in deck construction and what the code requires for these areas. The course includes a complete deck connector system that covers all the hardware needs for deck construction and references the International Residential Code & International Building Code.
At the conclusion of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize how improper deck building has resulted in a growing number of deck failures as well as related injuries and deaths.
- Employ the ability to safely inspect your deck.
- Appraise how the deck is designed to carry weight.
- List which types of fasteners are acceptable and which ones are not, due to their size, composition or intended usage.
- Apply a system of key connections throughout the deck framing, also known as a continuous load path, as well as comprehend how a continuous load path operates.
- Assess how to properly combat corrosion.
- Select hardware or fasteners for deck construction.
- Choose the right critical connection for the right section of decking.